Monday, January 3, 2011

On the 7th day of Christmas...

... There were lots of ladies (and gentlemen) dancing! A big part of the holiday season at my house involves dance recitals and productions. At least half of the family is in a Christmas dance production every year, my holiday soundtrack always includes pieces from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, and to my delight, this year I actually got to see the Nutcracker performed by the Moscow Ballet! I was also delighted that my youngest sister got to perform with the Moscow Ballet for that performance. (And when I say "delighted" here, I mean "jealous and completely green with envy")
The Nutcracker brings back so many wonderful holiday memories for me. I can remember being little, and getting dressed up to go out on a night on the town with my mom and sister. I felt so grown up to be attending a real ballet. I thought the story was completely magical, and I still do! I absolutely love the familiar music of the Sugar Plum fairy, the starched tutus, and the stage makeup. Even as I've gotten older, the theatre is still just as full of wonder and excitement for me.

Now I realize that ballet isn't for everyone, but if you've never seen a real one- this is your year! Get dressed up, give it a shot, and experience a bit of the magic!


~Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment