Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Reliving Italia: Day 2

Day 2: Roma, Colosseo

Day 2 in Rome was definitely one of the days that was most thought-provoking, and I think I spent the rest of the trip processing and digesting what I learned. It was one of my favorite days for several reasons, some of which included insane amounts of sunshine, challenging conversations with other people on the trip, and kiwi gelato! (*Random note on the gelato- I had it at least once a day every day except one that I was in Italy. Very good times.)

One of the most significant parts of the day though, was visiting the Colosseum. Making my way out of the metro station and suddenly seeing this huge, imposing, incredible building was absolutely stunning. Walking the tunnels where so many Christians had lived out their final moments was sobering. Wandering through the halls, I was both awed and impressed by the incredible architecture, and at the same time saddened by all the evil that the Colosseum represents. One of the things we had talked about on the night before, was how important it is to live our lives in the light of death- to remember that for all of us, death may be closer than we would like to think. Standing in the Colosseum really drove that point home. Throughout the day, I came back to that idea several times, and since that day, I have spent a lot of time thinking about how I need to live, if I'm living in the light of death. I want to be intentional about the way I live my life. I want to make sure I say the things I need to say, and do the things I've been called to do. I want every day to count.

Later in the trip, I bought a necklace that has a picture of the Colosseum, and it's been a constant reminder to me to live every day intentionally- because I don't know how much time I have left. I want to make it count. If the end of my life comes next week, I want to know that each day was lived fully.

Now I know that the whole "live like you were dying" theme may sound a little cliche, but it's vastly different when you're standing in an arena where thousands of people have died. It changed my perspective, and I hope that it will change my life.

I hope these pictures will give you more to think about than the incredible architecture. May you too be challenged to live every day intentionally, and to live your life in the light of death.

~Jasmine












1 comment:

  1. Those are incredible pictures Jasmine! You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete