Thursday, September 29, 2011

Things I love Thursdays! [ Disney Movies & children's reactions to 3D animation ]

Oh the joy of reliving part of my childhood! Oh the excitement of seeing again on the big screen, one of my favorite Disney movies of all time. That's right friends, Lion King in 3D!

Last night as I sat in the theatre with friends, once again I experienced the thrill of seeing the sun peak over the horizon in the opening scene as Swahili chants filled the room. Once again, I held my breath in sadness as Mufasa fell to his death, and again I laughed at the antics of Timon and Pumba. I was once again enchanted by the creative music and vibrant colors, and again thrilled to hear the chorus of stirring lion roars signaling the victory of good over evil.

I remember watching this movie for the first time about 17 years ago, and thinking that I couldn't think of anything sadder than the death of the gentle lion Mufassa. I also remember thinking that Disney had somehow tapped into a special, slightly magical color palette in order to create such stunning landscapes. And really, who of us didn't think that Hakuna Matata was the best song ever?

When I heard about the special 3D re-release of this favorite of mine, I knew I had to go. Do I already own this movie? Yes. Was the showing overpriced? Yes. Did it disappoint? Not at all! I think one of the best parts of last night was sitting near my friend's little brother, Elson who is a 3D animator's dream audience. All throughout the movie he was reaching out his hands to feel the falling rain, or touch the animals as they ran past. He shrieked with delight in the opening scene when he was sure that the birds had barely cleared our heads as they flew overtop. To Elson, we were right there on the Savannah with Simba, and sitting there next to him, I felt that way too.
Gotta love 3D glasses!

It's only in theaters for a few more short days friends! If you too want to relive the magic of that moment when you were first transported to the African plains- Go see Lion King in 3D! I promise, it's delightful!

Happy Thursday, all!

~jazzy

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I miss that kid. He's the greatest audience member ever. Wish I was with you all!

    ReplyDelete