Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Missing New York...

I just realized that I never touched on my brief, but wonderful trip to NYC earlier this summer. Right before and right after my trip to Italy, I stopped in New York City for a very short, but wonderful day and a half... Just long enough for the city to steal a part of my heart.

I have been just kind of obsessed with NYC for years. I have shirts with images of New York on them, my computer background for months was a scene from Central Park, one of my favorite movies of all time is You've Got Mail which of course, is set in NYC, and living there someday is on my list of things to do. Until June, I had never been to the Big Apple, so you can imagine how absolutely thrilling it was for me to look out the plane window and glimpse the skyscrapers, and the city teeming with life. Walking through LaGuardia Airport and seeing signs that shouted, "This is New York!" sent little excited shivers down my back and put an extra spring in my step. The first yellow taxi cab I saw kind of made me want to squeal!  (Don't judge, but I actually had to bite the inside of my lip to keep myself from smiling too much and freaking out the other people around me.) Let me just say, nothing about New York disappointed. The rush of traffic, the lights of Times Square, Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, the Subway, Macy's, Central Park, Starbucks (of course!), the crazy taxi driver that texted as he sped down the interstate... there wasn't a single dull moment.



♫ ♫ I say goodbye to all my sorrows, and by tomorrow, I'll be on my way
I guess the Lord must be in New York City... ♫ 






"Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one. It got on at 47th, and off at 59th, where, I assume it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake- 
as almost all hats are." 
You've Got Mail


I so desperately wanted to see a butterfly on the subway while I was there!




"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non fat, etc. So people who don't know what they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee, but an absolutely defining sense of self. Tall. Decaf. Cappucino!"
You've Got Mail




This is a cafe where a scene from You've Got Mail was filmed. I went in, and sat right where I thought they had shot the scene, and for a few moments, I was Meg Ryan anxiously waiting for Tom Hanks to walk through the front door!






As for New York City, it is a place apart. 
There is not its match in any other country in the world.
Pearl S. Buck





Oh how I miss you, beautiful city! Thank you for not disappointing me! 

And thank you, dear reader, for letting me expound on this trip in what was probably way too much detail. 

~jazzy




1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! I love all the You've Got Mail quotes -- I need to watch it now.

    ReplyDelete